GEORGETOWN, Texas – North Central and Southwestern combined for 21 second half goals but the Pirates came out on top in the thriller, taking down North Central College in overtime Sunday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Allison Schmitt opened her senior day game with flair, scoring Southwestern's first two goals in the first six minutes of play.
- The Pirates were able to double-up North Central's goals and took a 6-3 lead into the break.
- A flurry of goals opened the second half with four goals in less than three minutes. Southwestern posted one but conceded three to lead by just one, 7-6 with 27:14 remaining.
- Courtney Ragland single-handedly kept the Pirates in the game, scoring five times and assisting once on SU's 9 second half goals.
- With five seconds remaining NCC's Gina Fisher drove from the top of the arc and scored the game-tying goal as time expired to force overtime.
- After a good defensive stand Southwestern's Allison Cook curled just right of goal to bring the defense with her and found a wide open Brenna Jobb who buried the ball in the back of the net for the game winner.
- Courtney Ragland: 7 goals, 2 assists, 1 ground ball, 1 caused turnover
- Allison Schmitt: 4 goals, 3 ground balls, 7 draw controls, 1 caused turnover
- Kaitlyn Campbell: 2 goals, 2 ground balls
Southwestern improves to 6-6 on the year and remain at home to face Hamline on Tuesday at 5 p.m.