GEORGETOWN, Texas – With a strong team effort the Southwestern women's basketball team secured their first win of the season Sunday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- A back-and-forth start to the game gave way to the Pirates mounting a five point lead, 15-10 with 4:09 left in the first quarter. Less than two minutes later LC had erased SU's lead and took a three point advantage, 18-15, into the second quarter.
- Southwestern got hot offensively in the second and led by as many as 11 on Renee Walker's free throw. SU took a nine point lead, 30-21 into the locker room at halftime thanks to tough defense, allowing just three Wildcat points in the frame.
- LC edged the Pirates in the third quarter by one point and sent SU into the final quarter up eight, 47-39.
- The lead proved to be enough as the Pirates closed out the game from the free throw line.
- Olivia Podaras: 16 points, 7-15 FG, 1-2 3PT, 3 steals
- Madison Edwards: 13 points, 3-8 FG, 7-8 FT, 7 rebounds
- Audrey Garcia: 12 points, 9 rebounds, 6 steals, 3 blocks
- Tori Carraway: 10 points, 8 rebounds, 3 steals
- Field Goals: SU 38.6% (22-57), LC 33.3% (21-63)
- 3-point: SU 30.0% (3-10), LC 23.8% (5-21)
- Rebounds: SU 47, LC 36
- Steals: SU 17, LC 14
Southwestern improves to 1-5 on the season and returns to action on December 12th, facing Whitman College (4-0) in Walla Walla, Washington at 6 p.m PST.