MARSHALL, Texas – Olivia Podaras knocked home a career-high 30 points in Southwestern's 69-66 loss to East Texas Baptist to start the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- SU led early in the first quarter but ETBU closed the frame on a 16-6 run to lead 16-15 at the end of the first.
- The Tigers extended that lead to as many as 10 in the second quarter, leading 27-17 with 4:50 to play, but the Pirates were able to close the gap to just two by halftime, 27-25.
- ETBU controlled the third period, posting 10 point leads twice in the frame and led by six, 49-43, heading into the fourth.
- Southwestern refused to go quietly, however, and valiantly chipped away at the Tiger lead. SU pulled within one twice before taking the lead on Podaras' three with 1:19 to play. ETBU's Leonard answered with a three of her own and the Tigers were able to hold the Pirates scoreless in the final minute to secure the win.
- Olivia Podaras: 30 points, 12-21 FG, 2-5 3PT, 4-4 FT, 3 steals
- Audrey Garcia: 8 points, 10 rebounds
- Madison Edwards: 7 points, 6 rebounds
- Tori Carraway: 6 points, 8 rebounds
- FG%: SU 38%, ETBU 41.3%
- 3PT%: SU 41.3%, ETBU 39.1%
- Rebounds: SU 42, ETBU 41
- Turnovers: SU 19, ETBU 19
Southwestern (0-1) remains on the road to face LeTourneau University (0-0) on Sunday at 2 pm.