Posted: Feb 14, 2016
GEORGETOWN, Texas – With five goals in the fourth quarter, Southwestern defeated Huntingdon, 8-7, giving the Hawks their first loss of the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The game was knotted at one after goals from HC's Jakob Works and SU's Jordan Riggs.
- Southwestern took the lead early in the second quarter but it was short lived as Huntingdon ended the half with two unanswered goals.
- The Hawk's extended their lead to two, 4-2, with a goal three and a half minutes into the third, but Matthew Montagne had the answer with just 16 seconds left to pull SU within one heading into the final frame.
- Logan Spalding and Everett Barger started the run with goals within one minute of each other but HC tied the game 5-5 one minute later.
- Riggs battled through three defenders to score the go-ahead goal with 10 minutes remaining and SU added two more for some breathing room before HC closed the game with two goals to arrive at the 8-7 final.
- Jordan Riggs: 2 goals, 4 shots, 4 ground balls, 1 caused turnover
- Jared Welsh: 1 goal, 1 assist, 5 shots, 1 ground ball, 2 caused turnovers
- Charlie Fisher: 15 saves, 7 ground balls, 1 caused turnover
- Tim Monette: 3 caused turnovers, 1 ground ball
- Southwestern: 37 shots, 26 ground balls, 5-19 faceoffs, 17-21 clears, 0-3 extra-man opps, 17 turnovers
- Huntingdon: 29 shots, 26 ground balls, 14-19 faceoffs, 15-19 clears, 2-7 extra-man opps, 21 turnovers