The Southwestern University Athletic Training staff is comprised of athletic trainers who specialize in preventing, recognizing, managing, and rehabilitating injuries that result from athletic activity. The sports medicine team is dedicated to providing our Division III student athletes high quality, effective, and individualized medical care that will allow them to pursue their athletic goals.
DESCRIPTION OF SERVICES
As stated by the National Athletic Trainer’s Association, “athletic trainers are health care professionals who collaborate with physicians to optimize patient and client activity and participation in athletics, work and life. The practice of athletic training encompasses the prevention, examination and diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of emergent, acute, subacute, and chronic neuromusculoskeletal conditions and certain medical conditions in order to minimize subsequent impairments, functional limitations, disability, and societal limitations.”
The clinical tasks routinely performed by athletic trainers are organized according to the five domain areas.
- Injury/illness prevention and wellness protection
- Clinical evaluation and diagnosis
- Immediate and emergency care
- Treatment and rehabilitation
- Organizational and professional health and well-being
- If you are a NEW PIRATE click here
- If you are an RETURNING PIRATE click here