Individual Bests Abound at SCAC Championships
The men's and women's track and field teams saved their best performances of the season for the right time as two new Southwestern records, nine personal bests and seven season bests were set at the SCAC Track & Field Championships on Friday and Saturday in Memphis, Tenn.
Daniel Poole continues to improve in his first season with the Pirates and posted another SU record in the javelin. His throw of 45.88m (150.5 feet) broke his own record by almost five meters and earned him a seventh place finish and two points for the Pirates.
Lando Duarte also had a record-breaking run in 800, finishing in a time of 1:58.49 for a ninth place finish. Lilly Duarte posted her own strong performance in the women's edition of the race, coming in fourth place in a personal best time of 2:21.81 for five points for SU.
Kelly Myers had the highest finish of any Pirate on the weekend. In the 100 hurdles her personal best time of 15.71 earned her a spot on the podium and six points for Southwestern. The third place finish also gave Myers All-SCAC recognition in the event. In the men's 110 hurdles Alex Sheppard got three points for the Pirates with a sixth place finish, posting a personal best time of 16.30.
Myers also took sixth place, earning three points, in the women's triple jump with a personal best jump of 10.33m (33.89 feet). On the men's side, Sam Martinez earned four points for SU in the 5000, posting a fifth place finish with a time of 15:37.28.
In the 400 meter hurdles, both Emily Ammon and Sarah Puffer had personal best times. Puffer finished in 1:16.58 and in 11th place while Ammon won three points with a time of 1:11.97 for a sixth place finish. Christina Hadly got one point for the Pirates in the 1500, finishing in a time of 5:04.24 while Kara Koinis posted a season best in the race with a time of 5:30.60.
The Pirate women's sprinters were strong as well. Nekia Tharps had a season best run in the 100, finishing in 13.18 while Jodi Wilson had a season best in the 200 with a time of 28.93. Dianna Urrego posted a personal best time in the 200 as well with a time of 29.35.
Both the men's and women's relay teams earned points for the Pirates with the men's 4x100 relay of Addison English (pictured), Alex Sheppard, Brady Kent and Poole getting three points in the event with a season best time of 46.58.
Ali Erkin posted two personal bests on the weekend, in the 100 meter dash (12.38) and men's high jump where he equaled his personal best with a jump of 1.73m (5'8"). Jodi Wilson had a season best through of 27.36m (89.7 feet) in the women's javelin.
The Championships close out the 2011 season for Southwestern University.
Southwestern's Men's Results: 9th of 10 Teams 13 points
Southwestern's Women's Results: 8th of 10 Teams 20 points
Men's 100 Meter Dash
17. Ali Erkin 12.38 (personal best)
Women's 100 Meter Dash
11. Nekia Tharps 13.18 (season best)
18. Busola Okunnu 14.36
Men's 110 Meter Hurdles
6. Alex Sheppard 16.30 (3 points-personal best time)
Women's 100 Meter Hurdles
3. Kelly Myers 15.71 (6 points-podium-personal best time)
Men's 200 Meter Dash
21. Brady Kent 25.90
Women's 200 Meter Dash
19. Jodi Wilson 28.93 (season best time)
20. Dianna Urrego 29.35 (personal best time)
Women's 400 Meter Hurdles
6. Emily Ammon 1:11.97 (3 points-personal best time of 1:11.28 run in qualifying round)
11. Sarah Puffer 1:16.58 (personal best)
Men's 800 Meter Run
9. Lando Duarte 1:58.49 (SU Record)
Women's 800 Meter Run
4. Lilly Duarte 2:21.81 (5 points-personal best time)
Men's 1500 Meter Run
17. Sebastian Winkler 4:17.97
20. Allen Smith 4:25.19
Women's 1500 Meter Run
8. Christina Hadly 5:04.24 (1 point)
15. Kara Koinis 5:30.60 (season best)
18. Laura Wooden 5:41.94
Men's 5000 Meter Run
5. Sam Martinez 15.37.28 (4 points)
9. Zach Freeland 15:50.08
26. Thomas Bobbitt 17:55.42
29. Philip Davis 18:42.34
Men's 10,000 Meter Run
22. Sam Martinez 37.40.89
Men's 4x100 Relay
6. SU 46.58 Addison English- Alex Sheppard-Brady Kent-Daniel Poole (3 points-season best time)
Women's 4x100 Relay
8. SU-Dianna Urrego-Kelly Myers-Jodi Wilson-Nekia Tharps (1 point-season best time)
Men's 4x400 Relay
8. SU-Addison English, Alex Sheppard-Allen Smith-Lando Duarte 3:36.43 (1 point)
Women's 4x400 Relay
8. SU-Emily Ammon-Christina Hadly-Meg Greenfield-Lilly Duarte 4:18.68 (1 point-season best time)
Women's Triple Jump
6. Kelly Myers 10.33m (33.89 feet) (3-points-personal best jump)
Men's High Jump
9. Ali Erkin 1.73m (5'8") (equal to personal best jump)
Men's Shot Put
13. Matt Wladyka 10.74m (35.2 feet)
7. Daniel Poole 45.88m (150.5 feet) (2 points-SU record)
17. Matt Wladyka 33.86m (111.1 feet)
11. Jodi Wilson 27.36m (89.7 feet) (season best throw)