Marvin D. Henderson Sr. Tennis Courts

Birkelbach Banner

Google Map | Campus Map

In 2007, the Marvin D. Henderson, Sr. (’41) Tennis Courts became a reality and offers Pirate athletes one of the top facilities in NCAA Division III. With eight courts Southwestern houses one of the top surfaces in the Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference which includes the Pirates hosting the 2015 SCAC Men’s and Women’s Tennis Championships.

The location of the courts was originally installed just after the nine-hole golf course was opened in 1955. The courts have seen numerous updates including Southwestern branded windscreen that encircles the courts and provides the Pirates with “home-court advantage.”

A generous donation from the Henderson Family provided the funds for Pirate tennis as the courts were renamed for Marvin D. Henderson, Sr. Henderson graduated from Southwestern in 1941 as a two-year letterman and a four-year member of the varsity tennis team. He was well known throughout Texas holding 36 state rankings which included 12 rankings at No. 1 and 10 more at No. 1 on the Texas circuit.

Henderson played extensively on the UTSA Senior Tour, racking up many awards and earned 36 UTSA National Rankings sin 1981. In 2009, Henderson was ranked No. 1 in singles and doubles in the United State in the 85 and over division. He was also the first tennis player to be inducted into the Southwestern Hall of Fame.


 

Open Date

1955

Last Update

2014

Capacity

200

Sports

Tennis

Directions

From Interstate Highway 35
Exit 261 (Georgetown). Follow Texas Highway 29 east into Georgetown, approximately 1.5 miles. Turn left at Southwestern Boulevard.

From State Highway 130 (Tollway)
Exit 415 (Georgetown). Follow Texas Highway 29 west into Georgetown, approximately 2.4 miles. Turn right at the Maple Street stoplight, the last street before the train tracks.

Parking is available along Southwestern Boulevard. for all athletic events at the Corbin J. Robertson Center. For ADA parking, turn left at Taylor Rd. There is an ADA Parking Space and ADA Van Parking Space on the southeast side of the Robertson Center, near the building. The Center's two accessible entrances are just short distance on the southwest side of the building.